Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Akwaaba (Welcome)


Joanne (my fellow Crossroader) and I made it safely to Accra, Ghana (via Amsterdam) on Thursday evening. Although I got all the information I could before I left, I was not prepared for this place. I don't believe anyone could be prepared .... not that that's a bad thing. My senses have been stimulated in a way one could never experience in North America. I'm still busy taking in all the sites, smells (mmm open gutters), sounds (local languages, honking, shouting, hisses), and sun. Currently my vocabulary consists of "Where are we now?", "What did you say?", "So how does this work?", and "What is the plan?" I am quickly learning that appointments are not met on time and plans are not made in advance.

On our first day we learned a story that I think is very indicative of Accra and the culture. There is a hospital in town called 37 because it has 37 buildings (this sort of naming is used throughout the city). Large trees line the property and house thousands of fruit bats. Every night they fly up to 10 kms to find food and return before sunrise. The story goes that the bats followed an Ashanti chief who came to the hospital when he was sick. Even after he died, the bats stayed to morn and protect his legacy. It seems that the locals love to tell this story yet they will curse the bats as soon as something splats on their cars.

I went to the main market (Makola) in Accra on Saturday. I really can't describe this place in words. There is stall after stall, as far as the eye can see, in each section. I would say that there is the equivalent of a city block for the women's section, the men's, the food, the beauty products, etc. Luckily we had a local guide from work, Fiifi, to protect us from the grabbing, pinching, and yelling of "Obruni" or "white". It was a little overwhelming, but a good lesson is culture, how people shop, the stereotypes placed on white people, and navigating the tro tro (the fastest and cheapest way to get around the city, see the white vehicle in the photo).

7 comments:

Kevin said...

I humbly request that all further blog posts come through the copy desk before posting. Learn to spell.

PS: Flexible appointments? No plans? Sounds like just the place for you.

Chris said...

Must be some inside joke, because I see nothing but literary perfection.

Glad to hear your settled. Do the open sewers help mask the sweaty body odour? Kind of like anti-perfume?

Unknown said...

"Mourn", but the gist of the post is what matters! Great that you are embracing blogging and I hope you keep up with it.

I had ambitions of writing in my blog every few days but I think once per country I visit is more realistic :P

Currently in India for the first time: Some of your comments about your arrival struck a chord with me :)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you made it there okay and are getting adjusted. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures! :) I agree with Kevin about a great place with no schedule...sounds perfect to me!!

jonathan lin said...

Wow ! You rock! Hope you have fun and I'll keep in touch

Jon

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I agree with Chris on the "perfection" opinion of the post. Just to put my 2 cents in.

But the truth is that now I want more. Not like i'm pressuring you from all the way over in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Emily, glad to see that you made it to your destination okay! Your adventures sound much more exciting than the routine life over here... Keep posting and travel safe!